About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Noelle and I am a Special Education teacher (self-contained, grades 4, 5, and 6!) After graduating, I started teaching Kindergarten!!! I had only applied to sub when I was called in for an interview! The following school year I moved schools and changed grade levels. I absolutely love where I am now and what I am doing!

Rhode Island Blogger

Liebster Award

Liebster Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Friday, March 21, 2014

Five for Friday!



Time for Five for Friday with Doodle Bugs Teaching!  What a busy week it's been!  I'm excited for the weekend, even though report cards and IEP comments need to be completed.  Hoping for a bit of rest and some nice spring weather too!


Let's start with St. Paddy's Day.  I didn't plan on doing anything big to celebrate, however, I incorporated it into our daily routine throughout the week.  I differentiated every lesson, in every subject.  My students are all on different levels and are not all at the same place in multiplication.  Some had this fill in the blank worksheet while others continued with repeated addition.


During reading while I worked with my reading groups, students had different activities to complete.  One of my lower groups had St. Paddy's sight word work.  They were able to do most of this on their own.  The students had help with identifying the color words, then completed the rest by themselves.





Currently, we are working on multiplication in math.  My students love to be the teacher and write on the board.  At the beginning of a lesson, for review, each student was able to act as the teacher for a problem on the board.  I gave each student a problem to complete.  For example, I said "2 groups of 3."  The student would then go up to the board, draw the groups, label, and write the answer.  It was a great review and they had fun going up and pretending to be me!





For the past two weeks, we have been using poetry to infer.  I decided to take a break from that this week and work on Limericks.  This was an easy way to tie St. Paddy's Day and poetry into my poetry/inference unit.  We read a few different Limericks, then used a Limerick template to write our own.  

The first poem was an example from the template (found on TPT).  We talked about the rhyme scheme and wrote our own (the second poem).


The children then worked on their templates and wrote two Limericks.  I went over the poems with each student, then they wrote them as a final draft.  I may choose one of their poems for writer of the month!








#welovescience  
Before this school year, most of my students were barely exposed to any type of science curriculum.  Well, this year I decided to change that with the help of Donors Choose!  I am so thankful for everyone that donated to my cause.  My students are ecstatic and enjoy every science lesson!  We have been studying the human body and are almost done with the unit.  This week we moved onto the skeletal system. 

First, they were introduced to the skeletal system and the bones that make up the body.  We then labeled a skeleton on paper.


Upon completing that, the children cut out bones and put a skeleton together!  They then used their first skeleton on paper to label the skeleton they put together.  The kids love learning about their bones!



Then it was time to incorporate some math into science.  The children paired up and measured their bones!  They had such a great time seeing which bones were long/short and who in the class had the biggest/smallest bones in the class!  

Clockwise starting on the right: Measuring the femur, cranium, femur, and tibia!



While measuring, the children logged the size of their bones.  When they were done, they answered questions about the size of bones.  I love their science notebooks from Lakeshore, which was a part of the Donors Choose package!










Time for report cards this weekend.  We have just switched programs and are now using Skyward.  I'm unsure how I feel about the new program.  Because I have multiple grades in my classroom, each is located in a different section.  In our old program, everything was in one spot as one class.  This program makes me feel like I have three different classes.  It's quite different.  At least the report cards haven't changed (just the program, so far)!  Along with report cards come IEP comments.  My students get their report cards and IEP Goal comments sent home.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend and has some nice spring weather to enjoy!

Giggles at Greene with Ms. P



4 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I LOVE your blog name!!!! Super Duper cute!!!! I with you about report cards. Mine are due next week and I haven't touched 1. Nada! So that means a weekend of couch, blankie, black pen, and report cards. :) I love how you decided to make a change for your students with science. I want to do a DONOR'S CHOOSE project. I need to read up on that. Your skeletal system study looked AWESOME. :) Hope you have a blessed weekend!

    ((HUGS))
    One Fab Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Mine are due Monday, still not finished with them! The kids love everything so far we are almost done with the human body and will be moving on to the next unit soon. Have a wonderful weekend too!

      Delete
  2. Fun! I love how your kids measured their own bones. When I taught 5th, my kids would trace a friends body and try to draw in the body systems life size.
    KaSandra
    MemoriesMadeinFirst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the last lesson I am doing! It will be our closure activity! I can't wait for them to complete it so we can hang it up!

      Delete