About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Noelle and I am a Special Education teacher (self-contained, grades 3, 4, and 5!) After graduating, I started teaching Kindergarten!!! I had only applied to sub when I was called in for an interview! The following school year I moved schools and changed grade levels. I absolutely love where I am now and what I am doing!

Rhode Island Blogger

Liebster Award

Liebster Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Five For Friday, but it's Saturday?!


It has been a very busy week, so I am glad I am finally able to do this (even though it is Saturday evening here).  I think this might be my favorite linky because I am able to look back and reflect on my week.  Come take a peek into my class:



We finished reading Pinky and Rex and the Bully by James Howe.  


I think we read this at the absolute perfect time.  Two students from another class have recently moved into my classroom and I was noticing some bullying.  Throughout our time reading the book, I incorporated a few different anti-bullying activities.  



The first thing I did was jump onto TPT and check out the resources!  I found a few that I liked.  I found a great bully book.  It had multiple choice questions for my class to answer as we read.  You can find the book here.


I also found a pledge and my entire class signed it and wrote what they would do if they saw a bully.  You can find the pledge here.


My students also designed their own anti-bullying posters.  I love that there are so many things to do with a book!


It was a scoot kind of week!  My class loves scooting around the room, does yours?  I love that they are able to move about the room while learning.  They have said how much they enjoy activities like this.  One of the scoots we did was a multiplication multiple choice array scoot.  It was great, I love that they had to figure out an answer and check to see if it was there as a choice!  You can find it here.


I also made two new scoots this week.  This scoot incorporates parts of speech.  The children have to figure out what part of speech the underline word is.  You can find that here.


The second scoot I created this week was about multiplication and repeated addition.  The children see the repeated addition problem, convert it to a multiplication problem, and find the answer.  You can find this scoot here.


Like I said, it was a scooting kind of week!!


It was also an anchor chart kind of week.  On Monday, we began our poetry unit.  The first thing I wanted to do was introduce poetry terms to my students.   What better way than to use anchor charts?!  I hopped onto Pinterest and looked up anchor charts.  These are my charts, but not all my ideas.  We discussed four different terms this week.

The first term: Alliteration.  Thanks to One Fab Teacher for this idea!


The second term: Onomatopoeia. Thanks to A Year of Many Firsts for this idea!


The third term: Personification.  Thanks to Teaching in Wonderland for this idea!


The fourth term: Rhyming. Thanks to Life in First Grade for this idea!


I love anchor charts and so do my kids.  These were all fabulous, hope I did you ladies justice!


We are finally on our last activity for the Human Body unit.  The day before the last activity, we conducted out last experiment.  We made a muscle!  So fun!


I have been waiting to start this since the day we began this unit!!!!  The kids were so excited when I told them what the last project was: life size bodies with different systems displayed!  I put the body systems that we studied (circulatory, respiratory, nervous, digestive, muscular, and skeletal) into a jar.  Each student picked from the jar the system that they will focus on for this activity.  After choosing systems, we got right to work.  We started tracing bodies! 



They loved starting this activity.  We can't wait to continue it!  They are storing the papers in a box so that nothing gets to wrinkly! Great storage idea!


Last but certainly not least, it is finally beginning to feel like spring in New England!!!!  I am extremely excited that the snow has melted and it is warm enough for outdoor recess on a daily basis!  Thank you April!


The sun, beautiful!

After this busy, exciting week, I am so happy it's the weekend!  I'm thankful that it was a great week and thankful I can now try to relax a bit!  I hope everyone enjoys their weekends!!!


4 comments:

  1. You seriously made my Sunday!!!!! Simply love it and sooooooo appreciate the shout out!!! Makes
    my heart to happy!! You seem like such an awesome teacher. Can I visit your room? :)

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you!! So do you! I'm glad I could make your day! :) and you can visit anytime lol

      Delete
  2. Welcome to boggy world! And thanks so much for stopping by my blog to say hello. You look like you're off to a great start. I look forward to getting to know your little blog more. :)
    Dianne
    Hopelessly Devoted to Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback!! I appreciate it!

      Delete