About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Noelle and I am a Special Education teacher (self-contained, grades 4, 5, and 6!) After graduating, I started teaching Kindergarten!!! I had only applied to sub when I was called in for an interview! The following school year I moved schools and changed grade levels. I absolutely love where I am now and what I am doing!

Rhode Island Blogger

Liebster Award

Liebster Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Friday, April 18, 2014

The Week Before Vacation - Five for Friday!


It's Friday, you know what that means!!! Five for Friday Linky with Doodle Bugs Teaching! This week, there were only four days of school.  It was also the week before vacation, can you say crazy?  For it being the week before vacation, I do have to say that my class was (for the most part) pretty well behaved.


After two weeks of poetry terms, we began writing poems!  We started off with writing spring poems.  The first poem the kids wrote was using parts of speech.  I found a cute freebie on TPT from A First Grade Teacher.  You can find the template here.  First we made a list of nouns, adjectives, and verbs that had to do with spring.  Then the children wrote their poems!



We also wrote poems using our senses.  I found another adorable freebie for this activity on TPT.


We also wrote a spring acrostic.  Once again, TPT to the rescue! First we came up with spring wordsfor each letter.  I then showed them my poem and they created theirs.  They cut them out and we quickly hung them up!







The final poem we write this week was a bio poem.  This template was found on TPT as well.




What are your favorite poems to write with your classes?  I have been enjoying all of the poems so far!


To boost fluency, I began sending fluency passages home weekly for homework.  The kids have to read the passage to someone three times.  They have to record how many words were read correctly and how many errors were made.  An adult needs to initial their work when they have finished.  They're reading fluency has improved throughout the school year.



In math, the children have been learning multiplication tables.  Earlier in the week I taught them the nine's table.  I found a cute craft on Pinterest that taught addition.  I switched it up a bit because it was for addition.  It turned out so cute and the kids had fun!



We finally finished our human body science unit!! As a closure, the children traced their bodies!  They each had a different body system that they then had to draw.  When they finished they even helped those that were still working.  It was so great to see them working together!  I can't wait to hang these up after vacation!!!!







Number five is my favorite this week.  My dad came to school!!!!  He is in charge of DPW Operations.  My dad is also president of a sports turf committee.  Basically, the work he does fits perfectly into Earth Day.  We began our Earth Day lessons with making a KWL chart.  I also showed them a magazine article about my dad before I told them who he was.  It was adorable when they guessed it was my dad who was coming in!  The following day, my dad cam in and read The Giving Tree.  When he was done reading he asked them questions and opened up a discussion.  We then gave them bulbs to plant over vacation!  They loved it and so did I!




I hope everyone had a fantastic week!  I'm very excited to finally be on April Vacation this week!  Enjoy your Easter weekend!

Noelle




4 comments:

  1. Love all your poetry activities and how you displayed your spring acrostics on flower petals...how creative!! Thanks for giving me some great ideas on how to brainstorm vocab words! Awesome!!
    Elyse :)
    Proud to be Primary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope your class enjoys the brainstorming!!!
      Noelle

      Delete
  2. Those spring acrostics are super duper precious!! Love them!!

    ((Hugs))
    One Fab Teacher

    ReplyDelete