About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Noelle and I am a Special Education teacher (self-contained, grades 3, 4, and 5!) After graduating, I started teaching Kindergarten!!! I had only applied to sub when I was called in for an interview! The following school year I moved schools and changed grade levels. I absolutely love where I am now and what I am doing!

Rhode Island Blogger

Liebster Award

Liebster Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Friday, May 9, 2014

Five For Friday! TGIF


Linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five For Friday!  As usual it was a busy week at work, let's take a peek!


It's that time of year when everything starts winding down, or for teachers a busy time.  Within the next two weeks, I have five IEP meetings scheduled.  I don't know about you, but most of the time they are re-scheduled anyway.  Each IEP has to be done for the meeting and revised if the meeting is rescheduled.  In my district we use the Common Core.  These books always become my best friends whenever I have an IEP due, or in this case, FIVE.  We use Tienet, which is done online.  How are IEPs in your district written?




Continuing on with all of the fun for teachers at the end of the year are benchmark testing.  Benchmarks are done three times for us, in the beginning, the middle, and end of the year.  Throughout the year we progress monitor bi-weekly.  For reading and math we use STAR, which is an online assessment.  I'm not crazy about it.  I feel as though it doesn't give all of the information I need so I also use DIBELs. It's funny, some of my students actually can't wait to read to me.  They can't wait to see if their scores go up!  This week was the last week of progress monitoring and next week I will assess for their benchmark scores.  I progress monitor on their academic levels, but their benchmarks are on grade level.  What does your district use to benchmark and progress monitor growth for math and reading?




Throughout the week, the children worked on various Mother's Day activities.  They made a book and tea kettle.  We put tea packets with the kettles.  Before we made the book, we made an anchor chart.  We put mom in the middle and created a giant web.  All of the children were able to add different things to the web.  They did such a wonderful job coming up with all of their ideas!




We have been working very hard on multiplication facts lately.  Upon coming back from vacation it was time to step up the level.  I taught the children how to multiply with more that one digit.  They are doing problems that involve carrying, but are multiplying the larger number by one.  To review and practice, the children completed a scoot by The Magic of Teaching.  You can find that here or by clicking on the picture below.


It's always a great feeling when a student says, "Wow, I never thought I would understand the word Math!"  It's moments like this that make you feel amazing about what you are doing.  It's moments like this that make you remember why you are a teacher.  I am so proud of all my students!  This picture was right after she said she understood!  Proud and happy teacher moments!  I'm getting through!



My fifth graders participated in the G.R.E.A.T (Gang Resistance Education and Training) Program this year.  It's very similar to D.A.R.E., but geared more toward bullying, gangs, and peer pressure.  They did a wonderful job in the program.  Today they had their graduation!  One of my students led The Pledge of Allegiance with the principal at to open the ceremony, how special!


Here they are after graduating!! I had four grade five students when the program started.


That's all for now.  I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms!!






No comments:

Post a Comment