About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Noelle and I am a Special Education teacher (self-contained, grades 4, 5, and 6!) After graduating, I started teaching Kindergarten!!! I had only applied to sub when I was called in for an interview! The following school year I moved schools and changed grade levels. I absolutely love where I am now and what I am doing!

Rhode Island Blogger

Liebster Award

Liebster Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Friday, September 5, 2014

Back in Action!


Linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for the first Five for Friday of the school year!!!  Here's week two!

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]


Divider 1

This week we began looking at the difference between fiction and non-fiction.  I made these two anchor charts with the kids during Reader's Workshop time.



Then I made this chart for us to fill in next week:



Divider 2

I reviewed the rules for buddy reading so that when small groups begin next week the children will know exactly what to do!!  To review, the kids paired up and read a Close Reading passage.  I purchased this packet from TPT last year from Teaching and Tapas (third grade level - I believe there's also a grade two level!).  It's fantastic!!!  The kids read together, then worked on the questions individually!





Divider 3

In math, I'm teaching place value.  I have started putting together a place value packet for TPT.  This week I used one of the pages with my students to test it out!  It's an interactive notebook page and it was a hit!!! I put up a sneak peek freebie.  You can find it here or by clicking on the picture of it below!






Divider 4

This week as I was meeting with my new principal, I mentioned how I have everything in a labeled (front and spine) binder.  Later in the day, I was showing her something for open house and she jokingly asked me if I kept the sheet in a binder.  I think we'll get along!!  You can find my binder labels here or by clicking on the picture!



Divider 5

Working as a special education teacher brings me complete joy.  My students seriously bring tears of joy to my eyes.  I generally have my students for two to three years.  This picture means so much to me and here's why:


Do you see green?!?! I DO!!!!! It's not very often a self-contained teacher sees green.  Unfortunately, my students rarely read on grade level.  These two students are in grade six and reading on a grade six level at the beginning of the year!!! WOOHOO!!! They are usually in the yellow of red area.  I am so proud of these two students.  I cannot believe how far they have come and am already dreading the end of the year when they move onto the junior high school.  I have had both of these children for two years, this being their third with me.  This goes to show that anything can be accomplished if you believe you can do it.  I truly believe in all of my students, which in turn makes them believe more in themselves.  We have worked so hard over the past few years and this is the proof.  This seriously makes me one of the happiest and proud teachers.  I know that along the way I have done something right and have made difference in their lives and them in mine.  I'm truly blessed to have these students and wouldn't change my job for anything!!


I hope you all enjoyed you week, whether it was your first or you're a few in!  It was a humid one for us, hopefully the humidity passes for week three!


2 comments:

  1. Your anchor charts are beautiful! I love the colors and design. You have neat handwriting. Congrats on the progress your students made. That is great you can see your students can progress over the years!

    Allie
    http://thepositiveteacher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting! I love anchor charts! Yes, it's great being able to see their progress over the years!
    Noelle

    ReplyDelete