About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Noelle and I am a Special Education teacher (self-contained, grades 4, 5, and 6!) After graduating, I started teaching Kindergarten!!! I had only applied to sub when I was called in for an interview! The following school year I moved schools and changed grade levels. I absolutely love where I am now and what I am doing!

Rhode Island Blogger

Liebster Award

Liebster Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Five for Friday!!

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday (I know, it's now Saturday, but sometimes there is not enough time in a day!). Here we go!

Divider 1

On Tuesday, my school held its Open House.  Many grades/classrooms have about 50% of the parents show up.  This year I have ten students and just two parents came.  It upsets/saddens me that parents do not come to see what is going on in their child's class, especially a self-contained class.  Each year I always prepare as if every parent will show up and I always have nice displays for them.  At least two parents got to see them!

I generally set up some sort of station like this, a "Helping Hands" station with different items we could use in the classroom.

My mom actually gave me this when I first started teaching and I still use it!! This is a front/back sheet of different ways to help your child at home!

My sign in sheet!

I can't remember where I found this poem, I wish I could because I love it!  I have used it since!


Divider 2

During open house, one parent asked me about different apps that they're child could use at home.  I did a little research and made a list of math and literacy apps!!!  I shared this with my co-workers the following day and many took advantage of it! I have it as a freebie here today or by clicking on the picture!!!



Divider 3

This year I offered to help with the school store.  My offer turned into taking it over.  I am actually very excited about this.  I'm going to use it as a life skills class for my students.  They will be the ones running the store.  They will be selling the items, conversing with peers, making change, and working together, all while being overseen by myself and my assistant.  I think that this is perfect!!! When I told my students, they were also as excited as I was! This week we made a schedule for when different grades would be able to come and shop!



Divider 4

Right now in science, I am teaching about the solar system.  The kids are loving it so far! #welovescience!  We have been talking about planets for a few weeks.  I found this adorable planet book on TPT that you can get HERE for free!  It was perfect to close the lessons on planets!



We began learning about the phases of the moon this week as well.  I had seen some cute piterest moon phase activities, but my favorite one was using Oreos to show the different phases!  I also found a freebie on TPT for the Oreos to go on!  I had bought a Halloween pack, so we have orange moons. HA!




Divider 5

This is probably my favorite thing about this week.  A student that started with me as a fourth grader (now in grade six) did not know letters, numbers, or how to write his name.  He has come such a long way since then.  That first year we worked on those three things.  Last year we began doing more with phonics and more with numbers (adding/subtracting).  Well this year, he is reading!!!!! I could not be more proud of this student.  He was so happy when he finished reading those five sentences!! The look on his face is something I will never forget.  Moments such as this are the reason I became a teacher.  I cried this week, but for so many happy reasons! They were all happy tears!  One co-workers said something negative about this and it threw me off for a minute, but I was too happy and too proud for anything to ruin my day.  The next day, my student proved her statement to be wrong and was reading again!  Even as I write this, I am tearing up because of how far this student has come and because it's something I wasn't sure would happen, but it did!!!!!!

For this reading activity, he had to roll each dice and write the word down.  He then had to draw a picture to go with the last word.  The first only has the word "It." The next has "is." The third has three words: the, my, and a.  The final dice has basic words with a picture.  When he finishes one row, i point and he reads, then he points and reads.  At the end, once all are completed I point and read reads the entire thing.  Then he points and reads the entire thing!  This was on Thursday.  On Friday, he was reading in a basic Reading A-Z book!!!!! Yay!!!!




Happy Weekend Everyone!!!!




5 comments:

  1. Such a neat story about your student! Those moments are so powerful in their lives and in ours! :) Have a wonderful year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes they are, I am still over the moon about it!!!

      Delete
  2. yummmm moon activity...I always do this every year but those orange cookies make it look so much better. Also, thanks for the link to the solar system freebie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my kids was super excited to eat them after too!! The book is awesome! There's an answer key to go with it, I would have used it as more of an internet scavenger hunt if I had the resources. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Hello Admin

    Great achivment for me after reading your post Thanks for sharing Thank you so much love a lot

    Thanks For sharing That Tips.

    Regard

    Kunal ShahBlogger Tricks

    ReplyDelete