About Me

My photo
Hi everyone! My name is Noelle and I am a Special Education teacher (self-contained, grades 3, 4, and 5!) After graduating, I started teaching Kindergarten!!! I had only applied to sub when I was called in for an interview! The following school year I moved schools and changed grade levels. I absolutely love where I am now and what I am doing!

Rhode Island Blogger

Liebster Award

Liebster Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Sunshine Blogger Award

Friday, October 10, 2014

Five for Friday - 10/10

fiveforfriday2_thumb[3]

Linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday.  It's been one extremely rough week, and I'm really glad that it's Friday.... make that really glad it's a three day weekend.  Here's a peek at my week!

Divider 1

In Social Studies, we are discussing the difference between rural, urban, and suburban communities.  My students live in an urban community.  In the textbook, the example for urban communities was New Orleans.  It just so happens that my brother's girlfriend is working there.  She is currently working with homeless veterans.  I thought why not see if she would answer some questions about her work in an urban community and her job.  My students came up with a list of questions for her and she responded before the next lesson.  The kids loves hearing the answers to their questions!! She did a great job answering and explaining what she does.  Here's the list of questions they came up with:



Divider 2

On Tuesday, I walked into my classroom and there was a surprise waiting for me on my desk.  A little "ghost" dropped it off.


There was a note/poem with my little gift.  You had to give a gift to another teacher and post a ghost on your classroom door so that everyone knows who has been ghosted and who hasn't.  I really wish I had started this, because it's such a great idea!


Divider 3

In math, I taught part/part whole earlier this week.  I decided to whip out the dominoes and counters to go with a domino worksheet.


Today, I had another idea.  I wanted to do some sort of pumpkin craft.  I decided to have the kids complete a word problem using the SOLVE method and whichever addition strategy they wanted on a pumpkin.  They did such a great job.  I gave them the problem and they were all able to solve the problems with different strategies!  Here are the problem solving pumpkins:



Divider 4

This week was the first week that the school store was opened.  I have to say, the kids did a great job running things.  They had to work on social skills as well as money skills.  The store is already a success!  I'm going to add to their success with a field trip in the near future.  We are going to visit a bank!  I can't wait to finalize the plans and tell the kids!!!  They'll be able to use the coin machine and help make a deposit with the funds from the store.  I can't wait!!


Divider 5

On Thursday, I attended a Professional Development on Close Reading.  I have been using Close Reading in my classroom for a little while now, but wanted to see what my district had to say about it.  The district guide is pretty much what I am already doing.  I love Close Reading.  I think it's perfect for children who struggle with comprehension because you are continuously going back into the passage/text.  My students often have trouble with comprehension and it's refreshing to see that they are learning how to build their comprehension using text evidence through Close Reading.  What are your opinions on Close Reading?



I hope everyone had a wonderful week and enjoys a three (or possibly more) day weekend!!




6 comments:

  1. What a nice little ghost to leave you all of those goodies! I love that idea! :) I also love your little pumpkins! So cute!

    Have a fun weekend!
    Sarah
    A Sunny Day in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ghost was definitely a highlight! The pumpkins were so spur of the moment! Thank you! Have a great weekend as well!

      Delete
  2. Lucky you getting "ghosted"! What a fun idea!
    And what a great experience for your students to run the school store since it works on so many skills.
    Learning at the Teacher Table

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun was to boost morale as well!.. The kids are loving the store, it's such a great mini life skills class! Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Read more about your nomination and what to do here: http://thepositiveteacher.blogspot.com/2014/10/liebster-award.html

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was nominated for the Liebster Award for fresh bloggers. I wanted to share the favor and nominated you. See my blog post to see how to accept.

    http://ohsnapelementary.blogspot.com/2014/10/sweet-nomination-liebster-award.html

    -Felicia

    ReplyDelete